New ideas from interviews and the literature include:
- Go to new places: story hours, family programming, mobile libraries at shelters;
- Materials loan becomes materials gift: Gift books to children and adult evacuees and visiting responders;
- When things return to normal: Honor special local responders with books donated in their name at a special event;
- Target special groups: temporarily homeless (housing information exchange); evacuees (programs at local hotels); temporarily jobless (job bank, file for unemployment); hungry (file for food stamps);
- Special services: Filling out FEMA forms; Contacting loved ones; Comforting victims;
- Special materials: Books that help children cope.