Obtain "Essential Service" Status
- FEMA does recognize public libraries’ "essential service" status.
- Objective: local public library “essential service” status with county emergency management, local government and utilities;
- "Essential service" means all will expedite public library restoration after a disaster. Specifically:
- Public library managers will be allowed to assess library damage as soon as possible;
- If a library can be re-opened, debris will be removed and minor damage repaired promptly;
- Utilities, including telecommunications, will be restored rapidly;
- Library personnel are assigned to the library during disaster recovery.
- Miami-Dade County has agreed to restore three county agencies after a hurricane: police, fire and public libraries.
- Visit emergency management, key local government leaders, local utility providers and others and Making the Case.