The community counts on the library before and after a storm to offer access to various communication equipment, to be a trusted provider of accurate, reliable information, to produce needed information aids where they do not exist, and to deliver this information using whatever technology the community uses and can afford.
Best practices may include:
- Become an Emergency Communication Hub;
- Prepare Resident Hurricane Preparation Information or Evacuee and Resident Hurricane Recovery Information Booklets ;
- Offer a resident hurricane preparation event. E.g., see Terrebonne [LA] Parish Library System;
- Produce web booklets;
- Offer resident hurricane preparation training or a video;
- Provide an emergency blog or wiki Web 2.0 application, or use social networking;
- Offer a /BackHome web page;
- Offer e-government services & business recovery services;
- Secure information infrastructure. See the public library potential needs list in order to provide a secure information hub.